Our mission is to support the business community, foster new business growth, and promote tourism, making Lake Mills a better place to do business, to work, and to live.
What we do
- Promotes tourism in the Lake Mills area.
- Works to increase economic development and business opportunities/growth.
- Supports the business community.
- Enhances and celebrates the community’s quality of life.
- Serves a unified voice for businesses.
- Contributes to the overall economic stability of the community
Why we do it
The Lake Mills Area Chamber of Commerce believes in the vitality and potential of the Lake Mills area to attract new businesses, support existing businesses, and increase everyone’s prosperity for years to come!
How we do it
- Manage Visitor Information Center content
- Greet visitors and community members at the Chamber office within City Hall
- Field calls from visitors looking for area information and recommendations
- Serve as a Board Member of the Jefferson County Tourism Council
- Manage the Chamber Website--www.lakemills.org
Promote Lake Mills events
- Create, print, and distribute the annual Lake Mills Calendar of Events
Coordinate Chamber events
- Casino Night
- Town & Country Days Parade
- Fall Festival of Color
- Classic Christmas
- Small Business Saturday
- Business after Hours
- Create, print, and distribute area maps and brochures
- Responsible for the management of directional signage
- Stay up to date on available real estate
- Find new resources and opportunities to share with the business community
- Encourage entrepreneurial ventures
- Meet regularly with city and government officials
Where we started
Lake Mills traces its roots back to 1836, when Captain Joseph Keyes became the town’s founder by laying claim to the lands that now encompass the city. Like many Wisconsin settlements, the town’s early industries were related to agriculture, some of which gained national importance. In 1841, Ann Pickett started the first dairy cooperative in the United States. And the Phillips family started the first commercial creamery in Wisconsin around 1849. Joseph Keyes Grist Mill was built in 1842 and operated until 1934.
From there, Lake Mills’ business enterprises only grew. The Lake Mills Chamber of Commerce was created in February of 1928 with electrical contractor Ralph Engsberg as president. The cornerstone was the slogan ‘faith in the future promoted by pride in the past’. The first 35 years focused on industrial expansion and supporting the farming community. By the '70s, retail was a booming new enterprise for our area. The Lake Mills Area Chamber of Commerce has been an integral part of the prosperity of this area. We are proud to have served as a valuable resource for the Lake Mills community for 90 years. Here’s to 90 more!